Friday, May 21, 2010

Today we harvest.

So today we are going to pick our greens. I am going to freeze the majority of them for over the winter. I will have a recipe section for all the foodstuff I mention later on! My husband and I had a discussion last night and we are decided that the back part of our land will be used for raising animals. Prob. BUFFALO. I'm super excited about this considering I could eat buffalo every night. These are huge creatures though, so much research has to be done. :)

Our goal is to become as self sufficient as possible here on our farm as we can. Eventually we may like to teach other families ways to do this. We have only just begun. We are not even getting eggs yet from our spring chicks or honey from our bees! But we will!

I think we are going to plant a mixed fruit orchard this fall. Plus we have already planted strawberries and raspberries, and we have a ton of wild mulberry bushes here on the farm. The mulberries have already started budding!!! They should be ready next mth. I will make syrups, jam, and cobblers out of them. I froze a lot last year and just ate the last of them in a cobbler last month. So that's it for today, I have to get these kids going! We have baseball and girl scout awards ceremony tonight! I'm still tying to figure out how I want to organize this blog so it will come by tying! Just like everything else around here. Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!